Permanent Leading Hand – Apples
Craigmore works with global capital partners to build and manage more than 18,000ha of farm, orchard, and forest businesses in Aotearoa New Zealand. With over $700 million of assets under management and growing, Craigmore’s aim is to be a long-term producer of high-quality food and forest products whilst managing the land sustainably and helping to build strong rural communities.
See the rest of our website for an in-depth look at our businesses.
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced Leading Hand to join our Gisborne team!
The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of in-field operations including pest and disease, staff supervision, record keeping, harvest and machinery tasks. They will cover in house training, induction of teams, running of teams and general orchard practice leadership. This role will require general knowledge of all growing aspects of apple production and quality control. This is a safety sensitive role.
Competencies required to be successful include:
• Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate a team
• Excellent communication and organisational abilities
• Ideally qualified in the National Certificate in Horticulture Level 4 or pursuing certification
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and physically demanding environment
• To train staff in seasonal tasks and developing and maintaining team and company culture
• Mechanical aptitude and operational ability
• Tree husbandry and horticultural knowledge
• Good time management and able to work to daily deadlines while under pressure
• Safety comes first attitude, with timely reporting skills to identify hazards and risk in the field and beyond
• Ability to implement and communicate job sheets
• Accurate and detailed reporting, recording, and scoring to effectively quality control tasks
• Supervisory capability
• Familiar with GPS
• Familiar with pip fruit pest and disease best practice, identification, and control methods
We offer competitive remuneration, ongoing training and development opportunities, and a supportive team environment.
If you have a passion for the apple industry and a desire to take your career to the next level as a Leading Hand, apply today