Leading Hand – Apples
Since 2008, Craigmore has been building a diverse portfolio of farming, forestry, and horticulture businesses in New Zealand. Once our current businesses mature, we will be producing 250,000 tonnes of wood, 120,000 tonnes of milk and 45,000 tonnes of fruit from 22 orchards each year, spread from Southland to Northland – with additional growth to come.
Craigmore’s purpose is to build and operate high-performing forestry, farming and horticultural businesses which are leaders in sustainability and that revitalize under-invested rural communities (such as Northland, Gisborne, Central Hawkes Bay). Most importantly, we are committed to helping our people and partners to grow and thrive while working with us. We have access to significant capital to fund our growth and are seeking people with a desire to join us on the journey to build sustainable operations we can all be proud of.
We are embracing new technology, precision farming and solid stakeholder partnerships to create and operate the most sustainable and profitable orchards and vineyards possible.
We are now searching for a Leading Hand who is competent in all aspects of in-field operations including pest and disease, staff supervision, record keeping, harvest and machinery tasks. They will cover in house training, induction of teams, running of teams and general orchard practice leadership. This role will require general knowledge of all growing aspects of apple production and quality control. This is a safety sensitive role.
Competencies required to be successful include:
- Ideally qualified in the National Certificate in Horticulture Level 4 or pursuing certification
- Good time management and able to work to daily deadlines while under pressure
- Excellent communication skills with ability to establish collaborative working relationships at all levels
- Training staff in seasonal tasks and developing and maintaining team and company culture
- Mechanical aptitude and operational ability
- Tree husbandry and horticultural knowledge
- Safety comes first attitude, with timely reporting skills to identify hazards and risk in the field and beyond
- Confident to induct large groups of staff effectively
- Ability to implement and communicate job sheets
- Accurate and detailed reporting, recording, and scoring to effectively quality control tasks
- Supervisory capability
- Familiar with pip fruit pest and disease best practice, identification, and control methods
- Familiar with GPS
To enquire in strict confidence about this role, or to request a Position Description, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply for this role through our Trade Me advertisement.